Welcome to the Conscious Living, Aging and Dying
2nd Thursday of each month at 9am PST Noon EST
We invite you to join us for our Conscious Living, Aging and Dying (CLAD) community calls on the 2nd Thursday of each month to participate in conversations of interest to you. We will be using this page to introduce the topic for each of our calls, to share any resources or information we think you might want to look at before or after the call, and to give you the details of when and how to participate.
Celebrating The Holidays
Expectations, Illusions and Realities
Thursday, November 9th at 9 to 11 am PST Noon to 2 pm EST
An open conversation hosted by Pam Nichols and Carol Tornow
This will be a rich conversation about how we celebrate the special fall and winter holidays that are part of so much of our history and tradition. Whether it’s Thanksgiving, Christmas, Hanukkah, Ramadan, Kwanzaa, Winter Solstice or the Day of the Dead, most of us come to these occasions with wishes, expectations, hopes or dread based upon on our past history and experiences, and on current realities.
Many elders wonder, will there be family and friends? Who will come or where will I go? how will we celebrate? How will we get along? What subjects will we need to avoid at all cost?
We will use this call to share stories about how our old ideas and traditions are changing, or changed and what new traditions and ways of celebrating we see emerging in our circles of family and friends.
As elders and caretakers of elders, we will share hopes, expectations and ideas for the upcoming holiday season and explore how we can be intentional about how we want to celebrate. And essential, taking care of ourselves while we do it!
Here are some questions we’ll explore together…
- Which of the upcoming holidays mean the most to you and how do you hope to celebrate them?
- What are the gains and losses you’ve experienced in how you’ve celebrated the holidays over time?
- How can we take care of ourselves while making healthy choices, avoiding dietary issues, over spending and consuming, taking time out, simplifying, shaking up tradition and staying involved?
- As an elder, what role do you see for yourself in helping to pass on old traditions or in creating new ones with your family and friends?
- What new forms of celebration or new traditions do you see emerging with your loved ones? The young ones?
Before the call Resources for Conscious Elders and Caretakers of Elders:
You might find some of these readings, books, videos and websites inspiring prior and after to the call.
Meditations on Fall and Winter Holidays, Charles Reznikoff
Multicultural Winter Holiday Celebrations, Mother Nature Network
7 Strategies for a Happy Holiday Season, Psychology Today
6 New Holiday Traditions to Consider this year, Sixty & me
Holiday Health for Seniors, Care.com
7 Questions We Need To Ask Every Older Person, Huffington Post Blog
Miracle on 42nd Street, Youtube
- Watch one of your favorite holiday movies
And on a lighter note, if you’re a Seinfeld fan there is the…
If you would like to receive future monthly reminders for the CLAD meetings or any of the other groups, please click here and indicate your interest. We'll add you to our mailing list for the group(s) you check
Joining Our Conversations
Our 2-hour CLAD conversations will be on the 2nd Thursday of each month at 9am PST / Noon EST
We will be using Zoom video conferencing, which is very easy to access by computer, or regular telephone. If you choose to use your tablet or smartphone, be sure to download the Zoom app ahead of time. We will be starting each meeting on time so please connect 15 minutes before the call so that the host can help with any technical difficulties or questions you may have. Once the call starts the host will be unable to help with connection issues.
Link here for instruction and access to Zoom video conferencing.
CLAD is planning to continue its offerings of engaging community calls and dialogue, with plans already in the works for the rest of this year. Please mark your calendars for the following CLAD community calls and webinar programs:
- December 14: Go Wish: A positive way to explore values and wishes about your end-of-life care with guest Dr. Susan Wright
First Quarter 2018 Online Workshops:
- January: Dying to Live a six session online workshop with Dr. Susan Wright
- March: End of Life: Step-by-Step Planning workshop on-line and self-directed with Dr. Karen Wyatt.
Miss our last meeting? Watch it in our Archive!
We would also love to hear your suggestions for call topics for 2018! Please let either of us know if there is an interest you may have related to conscious living, aging and/or dying that you would like to explore in a CEN community conversation. You can reach Pam at email@example.com and Carol at CarolTornow@comcast.net .